Friday, June 3, 2011

The Brushing Experiment

I'm going to try something on Raegan that her therapist recommended. It is called "brushing". What I do is take a plastic brush, resembling the brushes you get at the hospital when your baby is born, the one they use in baths, just minus the sponge part.
7 times a day I take the brush and go up and down Raegan's legs, feet, arms, hands, and back. This only takes about 1 to 2 minutes. Then I do compressions on her spine, hips, major joints, and finally on her chest. I'll try to have someone take pictures of me doing this to help explain it better. We start at 7:30 in the morning and then repeating the proceedure every 2 hours until bedtime.
Brushing is supposed to help with eating, sleeping, and movement. I'm giving it 2 weeks to show me what it can do for Raegan. She isn't a big fan of it so far, but it is over with so quickly that she doesn't have much time to get upset. The whole proceedure only takes less than 5 minutes.
I really pray this helps with her eating, she has been without her feeding tube for a whole month now! But she is wanting to eat in little bits, like a bird, which I don't mind during the day, but I don't like it at night. I have a machine that will feed her at night but I don't want to use it unless I absolutely have to, so this is kind of a last resort option. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that the "brushing" will work like it is supposed to!

1 comment:

  1. Hi all, Never heard of this brushing technique before. I am almost positive that Mindy has never done it with Jake or Jordyn. I would be interested to see what you think of it after your 2 week trial. I think Miss J. would esp. benefit from it if it helps. She too wants to eat like a "bird". Has to have a bolus feed every hour. Hope all is well,take care. Lots of love, Auntie Kathie xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank You for your intrest in my sweet munchkin trifecta!