Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Easton's smiles

I have been hesitating to write this post as I am not sure what I am going to say, Easton did very well for his surgery and even better on his recovery. That is the simple part, well it seems simple anyway but it isn't. I have been dreading this surgery for months, it has been postponed twice due to Easton's health. I cried the day I made the appointment, I hated doing it, knowing it could mean the death of my child. But I have learned to do what must be done, somehow, I keep doing it. I even had my good friend Wendy there with me at the hospital in case things went bad. Best case scenario was that Easton would be out of the hospital in 2 or 3 days tops, I could live with that, I had done it 5 times before. Only once did he get so sick he was in the hospital for a week and it took me 2 months of nursing him back to health at home before he fully recovered. We opted out on doing his hernia surgery because the doctor just didn't think he stood a good enough chance of making it through the surgery. They did have a hard time intubating him, and extubating him, but other than that, he reacted and recovered much the same as a "normal" child would. The moments leading up to him being released from the hospital "early", which it wasn't really, seem very surreal to me, almost as if I was dreaming, much the same way I felt when I first had him and realized what his life might be like because of his condition. I fainted the first time I saw him, passed right out, first time anything like that had ever happened to me. I felt like that again on the way home from the hospital after this surgery, watching him sleeping, he was so beautiful at that moment, I thought I was going to faint again just from the pure beauty of the moment. I don't know why this surgery went so well when we were all planning on it not. Funny the curve balls life can throw at you sometimes. Just when you think you got it all figured out, Whammo! I got Easton home and he made it through the night with no problems, the next day I did pass out from pure exhaustion. I didn't realize how completely worn out I was not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well. The surgery was over, my precious son was still alive, he was home safe with me, and life was good again. I am so grateful for everybody's prayers and smiles. The support and comments I got from everybody was far more than I had ever dreamed of, it was fabulous. My faith was renewed in people, and in strangers, once again. Everybody is well once again, and life is back to normal, so to speak, my normal anyway. I am saddened by the loss of one of our precious rhizokids, Fred. He passed away the day after Easton's surgery, a sweet victory and a bitter loss all in the same week for our little group, God bless us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank You for your intrest in my sweet munchkin trifecta!