Saturday, November 26, 2011

My Alphabet of Gratitude...Letter K is for Kites!

I love to fly a kite. I have my adopted family, the Wheelers, to thank for that. Every year they would get together and fly kites. It turned into a potluck too eventually I think, I'm not sure but I am sure about how much fun we all had. It was wonderful looking up into the sky and seeing all the beautiful colors and different shapes. It was fun to watch who get their kite up with ease and who had a really hard time.
I remember as a teenager I would go to the beach in Pascagoula and watch people flying all sorts of kites. From simple ones to the ones that require two people and both of their hands, it was awesome.
I guess a part of me feels as though I'm in the sky with that kite, soaring high above the ground and flying with the breeze gloriously.
I've flown kites with my children and I never get tired of watching their faces light up when they get their kite soaring, no matter how old they are. I hope we never outgrow going and flying a kite. It's simple, but it's powerful. Sometimes it really is the little things that can really pack some punch...just as my munchkins!
The picture is of Glen and Linda Wheeler! Thank You so much for all you did for me, I can never say how grateful I am for your family. So K is for kites, but they were more than just kites to me. It was the time we spent together, competing and yet cheering each other on. The older ones teaching the younger ones. Time together. So our yearly kite flying fun was more to me than flying kites, because of this example kites will always symbolize fun and freedom and family to me. They didn't just fly kites with me they showed me what was important in life and that is family. No matter what. I've seen them go through many trials and yet they all still love and support each other in their own ways. I love them so much and I dread to think of where I would be without them. They are my sisters to this day. They know me as well as any sister could and they love me inspite of myself, that is family. I feel even more special because I was chosen, they could have sent me away feeling sorry for me but they didn't. They included me and they never made me feel like they wanted to do anything else, they loved me. So I am thankful for my time flying kites with my second family. I am blessed to have not one but two. One that I was born into that I love dearly, and one that adoped me in a way and taught me how to fly a kite. Thank you Glen, Linda, Julie, Melanie, Christy, Jan and Beckie. Oh, and Kenny, can't forget my adopted brat of a brother either...I don't think he taught us how to fly kites as much as he taught us how to run with them though.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank You for your intrest in my sweet munchkin trifecta!