Friday, November 11, 2011

My Alphabet of Gratitude...Letter D is for Dakotah

Dakotah is my oldest child. He turned 16 this July...although I know I'm not old enough to have a 16 year old! Seriously, what can I tell you about my DK to let you know just how happy I am to be his mother? I am so thankful for all that he has taught me, patience, understanding, forgiveness, and love just to name a few. When he was born I wasn't able to hold him for the first day because of his lungs partially collapsing, they had to put him in an incubater. When I finally got to hold him and take him home I was so happy. He was such a beautiful baby with so much dark gorgeous hair. He grew quickly and I enjoyed him every step of the way. He is smart and talented. I appreciate the music he has brought into the house. He has taught himself to play the guitar, keyboard, drums, and cello so far. No lessons! He plays so well, I have to take some credit for putting headphones on my tummy when he was still growing in there. He listened to everything from Ozzy to Elvis, from Enya to Led Zepplin, he loves them all to this day. He has always been my helper without complaint (most times!). Dakotah can make Easton smile and laugh even more than I can. The first time Easton let out a real belly laugh it was because of Dakotah. I am so proud of the way he treats them and how gentle and kind he can be. He is such a big guy it is wonderful to see. Dakotah has gone through some really difficult times this past year and a half. I have seen him grow into a young man I am very proud of. We all make mistakes...we all have failures but what impresses me most about my son is his ability to turn tragedy into triumph and mistakes into successes. I have watched him embrace critisizm and use it to catapult his growth in a positive direction. He is inspiring to his peers and the adults that have worked with him have nothing but praises for him. My heart just swells when I hear all of the positive remarks from everybody. When a situation that can make you so bitter is turned into something that makes you better instead, well in my opinion it is miraculous. He loves to smile and laugh. He brightens up the room he is in and he can relate to just about anybody. He is a great friend and brother. He is an even better son. Dakotah is respectful and hard working, he is protectful of his brother and sisters with disabilities, you can see the love in his care for them and how much he LOVES to play with them. I told him when he gets to heaven and a big guy comes and sweeps him up in his arms and swings him around....well that will be Easton. The way Easton's eyes light up when he gets to hang with his big brother is Awesome, it brings tears to my eyes just about everytime. Easton really enjoys hanging out with DK in his room while he is playing his guitar, he loves the music and usually has a permagrin on his face the whole time. Dakotah takes the time to teach also. All of his musical talent would be enough but the fact that he is able, willing and wants to teach makes me very happy. He helps his brother Zac learn the cello and has even been able to play a duet with him the first day he started teaching him. He is not selfish or greedy at all. Yes, I'm a proud mother and I love to brag about my children every chance I get. They know how much I love them and Dakotah is not ashamed to tell me he loves me back...even when around his friends, going so far as to give me hugs also. I want him to know I don't take these actions for granted at all. I appreciate Dakotah for who he is. For who he is, is WONDERFUL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank You for your intrest in my sweet munchkin trifecta!